What is Cued Speech?
– it has 8 handshape cues to help lipreading
– it follows the word-sound; it does not follow word-spelling
– it was invented by past Gallaudet University Vice President R. Orin Cornett
– the hand shape shows consonants; the hand position shows vowels
– it is claimed that many parents can become fluent in less a year
– for some reason most Cued Speech users live on the East Coast!
– Cued Speech is found in nearly 70 national languages
– A tiny percentage of deaf students use Cued Spech
– Only several thousand deaf people in USA use Cued Speech
– Serious shortage of certified cued speech transliterators, only 100 of them
– there is some debate whether Cued Speech threatens ASL