I want to share with you a story about the two football games that were
played on the same day between Tennessee School for the Deaf (TSD) and
Kentucky School for the Deaf (KSD) during the 2001 season, which was
prominently unique. The first game occurred at KSDяяs home turf on
August 29. The score was tied at 14-14 with less than four minutes left in the
second quarter as a storm was approaching with heavy lightning. The head
referee decided to suspend the game until the storm had passed. The storm
and the lightning continued on for the next two hours without letting up,
and the head referee decided to cancel the game. Both teams were very
upset. KSD head coach made a suggestion that we could play two games at
our homecoming game on October 20. The first game would be played in an
overtime to make up for the tied game that was played at KSD on August 29.
After that, the homecoming game would be played in full four quarters.
Coaches on both teams agreed. To play in an overtime game at the opening
of the game before playing the homecoming game was unheard of. Overtime
occurs only when there is a tie at the end of the fourth quarter.

At our homecoming, the referees agreed to officiate the overtime game
first and then the homecoming game. None of the referees had ever
officiated two games played by the same teams in the same day, which they
found unusual but extraordinary and were eager to see how those two games
were played out.

According to the overtime rules, the ball is set at the 25 yard line, and
each team will have the opportunity to play one round of offense with up
to four attempts in each overtime. If the first round of overtime is a tie,
the second round overtime will be played. If the second round of overtime
is a tie, the third round of overtime will be played and so forth until
one team wins by breaking the tie. The referee will toss the coin prior to
the first round of overtime and in each overtime when there is a tie.

On the first round of overtime, TSD won the coin toss and elected to start
on offense. TSD made a touchdown on the third attempt and a two point
conversion. KSD also made a touchdown and a two point conversion which
tied the game at 8-8. On the second round of overtime, KSD won the coin
toss and elected to start on offense. They attempted to make a touchdown
on four plays and failed because TSD defensive team was able to contain
their running game. The ball was turned over to TSD. TSD made the
touchdown on the third play and won the overtime game 14-8.

After the overtime game was over, both teams were given a fifteen minute
break before starting the homecoming game. There were many fans on
TSD’s side with many alumni, current and retired teachers, former football
players, and old friends who were in awed to see two games played on the
same day by the same teams. TSD executed the game well throughout the four
quarters and defeated KSD by 36-20. Historically, TSD won both games on
the same day. Both teams, TSD and KSD, playing two games on the same day
was never attempted before in the history of either school. It is
possible that TSD and KSD were the first teams in the history of all high school
football teams (both deaf and hearing) in the nation to play two games on
the same day. Playing two games on the same day by the same teams in the
NFL or college is unheard of.